Main Article Content
Introduction: The chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) impairs the functional status with consequent impairment of the activities of daily living (ADL). This study aimed to investigate the effect of a long term pulmonary rehabilitation (PR) on the functional status, dyspnea and on the BODE index in patients with COPD. Case report: This is a retrospective and descriptive study. The records of five patients that participated in a year PR program were analyzed. Assessments about spirometry, body mass index (BMI), London Chest Activity of Daily Living (LCADL) and Medical Research Council (MRC) scales and six-minute walking test (6MWT) were collected. After a year participating in the PR program, most patients improved their functional capacity, dyspnea and reduced the risk of mortality. Conclusion: A year of PR seemed to maintain the improvement in functional capacity obtained after 24 training sessions in patients with COPD.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) that allows others to share and adapt the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
2. Spruit MA, Singh SJ, Garvey C, Zuwallack R, Nici L, Rochester C, et al. An official american thoracic society/european respiratory society statement: key concepts and advances in pulmonary rehabilitation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013;188(8):e13-64. http://dx.doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201309-1634ST
3. Garcia-Aymerich J, Lange P, Benet M, Schnohr P, Anto JM. Regular physical activity reduces hospital admission and mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a population based cohort study. Thorax. 2006;61(9):772-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/thx.2006.060145
4. Troosters T, Gosselink R, Decramer M. Short- and long-term effects of outpatient rehabilitation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized trial. Am J Med. 2000;109(3):207-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9343(00)00472-1
5. Celli BR, Cote CG, Marin JM, Casanova C, Montes de Oca M, Mendez RA, et al. The body-mass index, airflow obstruction, dyspnea, and exercise capacity index in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med. 2004;350(10):1005-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa021322
6. Ries AL, Bauldoff GS, Carlin BW, Casaburi R, Emery CF, Mahler DA, et al. Pulmonary Rehabilitation: Joint ACCP/AACVPR Evidence-Based Clinical practice guidelines. Chest. 2007;131(5 Suppl):4S-42S. http://dx.doi.org/10.1378/chest.06-2418
7. Iwama AM, Andrade GN, Shima P, Tanni SE, Godoy I, Dourado VZ. The six-minute walk test and body weight-walk distance product in healthy Brazilian subjects. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2009;42(11):1080-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0100-879X2009005000032
8. Carpes MF, Mayer AF, Simon KM, Jardim JR, Garrod R. The Brazilian Portuguese version of the London Chest Activity of Daily Living scale for use in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Bras Pneumol. 2008;34(3):143-51. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1806-37132008000300004
9. Kovelis D, Segretti NO, Probst VS, Lareau SC, Brunetto AF, Pitta F. Validation of the Modified Pulmonary Functional Status and Dyspnea Questionnaire and the Medical Research Council scale for use in Brazilian patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Bras Pneumol. 2008;34(12):1008-18. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1806-37132008001200005
10. Holland AE, Hill CJ, Rasekaba T, Lee A, Naughton MT, McDonald CF. Updating the minimal important difference for six-minute walk distance in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010;91(2):221-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2009.10.017
11. ATS. ATS statement: guidelines for the six-minute walk test. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;166(1):111-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.166.1.at1102
12. Garrod R, Paul EA, Wedzicha JA. An evaluation of the reliability and sensitivity of the London Chest Activity of Daily Living Scale (LCADL). Respir Med. 2002;96(9):725-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/rmed.2002.1338
13. Simon KM, Carpes MF, Correa KS, dos Santos K, Karloh M, Mayer AF. Relationship between daily living activities (ADL) limitation and the BODE index in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Rev Bras Fisioter. 2011;15(3):212-8.
14. Cote CG, Celli BR. Pulmonary rehabilitation and the BODE index in COPD. Eur Respir J. 2005;26(4):630-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1183/09031936.05.00045505
15. Foglio K, Bianchi L, Bruletti G, Porta R, Vitacca M, Balbi B, et al. Seven-year time course of lung function, symptoms, health-related quality of life, and exercise tolerance in COPD patients undergoing pulmonary rehabilitation programs. Respir Med. 2007;101(9):1961-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2007.04.007